I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 7 August 2009

Not quite Venice...


I happen to think this new(ish) building, The Waterfront, just alongside the Salts Mill complex but not - strictly speaking - in Saltaire itself, is something of a triumph in terms of how well it fits with the general 'feel' of the older buildings. I don't know who designed it, but it has just enough of the characteristics of the older mill buildings, without being a parody. (Do I mean parody? Or is there a better word? Anyway, I mean without it looking totally naff and pseudo-Victorian.) It was built a few years ago for Filtronic plc though I don't think that company uses the building now. Quite a nice place to work, don't you think, overlooking the canal? It's not quite Venice...but I do love to see the reflections in the water, often making the ordinary look rather beautiful.


4 comments:

  1. Nice reflection it looks like a great summer day. I looked for your site on city daily photo but couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure that I can put it on there as I don't think it meets the criteria - Saltaire isn't really a city! Do you think that matters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably doesn't matter ive seen a small New Zealand town on there. Anyway its just a really small city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, with your encouragement then, I might try. It would be good to get listed in a few more places. And yes, summer has come again here - another beautiful day today, hot and sunny - my photos should reap the benefit.

    ReplyDelete