I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 24 November 2009

Wall picture

Walking through Shipley (the small town in which Saltaire sits) I passed this wall picture, painted on the gable end of a row of terraced houses. It caused quite a lot of controversy when it was first unveiled in 2002, but I guess people have got used to it by now. Created as part of Bradford's (unsuccessful) bid to become a European City of Culture, it was painted by a German artist Osman Bol, along with Amerjeat Kaur and Shaun Fagan of Metro Arts (a council-run arts project). At first glance you would think it was a local scene showing Salts Mill and the canal. In fact the scene is supposed to have elements of both Shipley/Saltaire and Hamm, which is Bradford's 'twin town' in Germany, and is an artistic rather than a literal view. The children depicted are the children who lived in the house at the time.


2 comments:

  1. One can only hope that the wall and the painting will stay, I like these type of murals and I have to admit I like graffiti. Often the paintings are done on buildings that are planned for demolition, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like it. We have enough blank gable ends to meet everyones' need for dull brick and stone walls. Get out the paint pots, I say.

    ReplyDelete