I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 19 February 2010

Victoria Hall, framed

I need a weekend of decent weather so that I can replenish my stock of photos. I am now picking out some that I took last year - when the trees had leaves and the sun shone! This is another view of the Saltaire Club and Institute, now known as the Victoria Hall. It's one of the most important public buildings in Saltaire, built by Titus Salt to provide a social club and educational facility for his workers and tenants. Finished in June 1871, it was designed by Saltaire's architects Lockwood and Mawson in the same Italianate style as the rest of the major buildings. It was built by John Barry of Scarborough at a cost of £18,366. I think it's a most attractive and imposing building. It still provides a lively focal point for the village, hosting meetings, groups and regular events of all kinds.
(I hear that the BBC's Antiques Roadshow will be filmed here in April - so dig out those family treasures. You may be sitting on a fortune!).

3 comments:

  1. Nice job. Really like the geometry of this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful building. You got a nice shot of it, and at an interesting angle too.

    ReplyDelete