I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 23 March 2010

Dry-stone seat

Malyss has a fascinating blog all about benches - so this one's for her! It's on the Denso Marston Nature Reserve that I described yesterday and was donated by the company. It's an interesting design, built in the manner of the dry-stone walls that are a strong feature of the Yorkshire area. It looks to have utilised two old stone gateposts in its construction. The wall behind provides shelter from the wind, which can be quite strong here as it's channelled along the Aire river valley. The stone soaks up and radiates the warmth of the sun - so it provided me with a cosy nook for a short rest on my walk.

6 comments:

  1. What a brilliant bench! I love dry stone walls! My grandad was a dab hand at building them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MARVELLOUS! A bench build in an old local way, using local resources, and put in a wonderful place. That's not only a beautyful bench, but also a clever one! Thank you very much for this great catch!I hope you'll find many others to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I have to show this to my son who is a wonder at dry stone building!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful bench and that looks like a great place to sit and enjoy the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is what I call a BENCH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is beautiful. I love anything stone. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete