I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 10 September 2010

Now and then......

I like comparing 'then' and 'now' photographs, and here is a pair showing the old Post Office in Dent, on the interestingly named road The Laning. As the first photo shows, it is no longer a Post Office but a private house. I don't know how old the second photo is - possibly taken just before the First World War? The lady still appears to be wearing a high-necked Edwardian dress. The road is rough and stony and clearly a pony and trap was the local mode of transport of the day.

10 comments:

  1. I'd say you are just about right with regards to the date. Interesting to note the demeanour of the lad against the wall. Similar poses can still be seen today. I guess teenagers probably haven't changed so much as we'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How gorgeous ! it's incredible that this house could remain so well through ages!I also love comparing present and past; great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love seeing photos like this, it is so interesting to compare what a place looks like now and what it use to look like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dream is to move there and live in one of those adorable quaint houses. It'll never happen, but I like the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really unique.I wouldn't mind the pony for transportation now.We have a lot of Amish nearby who refrain from modern entrapments and still use carriges and buggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see inside! I can imagine myself living in a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great, Jenny! I also like the 'then and now' thing. The shot you took seems vintage too. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been fun looking at the differences between the two photos.Thanks for showing the before and after picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh neat, I thought the first shot was the vintage shot until I saw the second! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that WAS fun to see! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete