I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 12 August 2011

Pierced


"And a sword will pierce your own soul too."  Luke 2:35

For some reason that I can never quite fathom, this is my favourite of all the art works at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.  It is Héros de Lumière, 1986 by the Polish artist Igor Mitoraj.  Carved from a block of white carrara marble, as favoured by Renaissance sculptors like Michelangelo, it has the feel of a classical piece and yet nods to Surrealism (it has a face on its shoulder, the lips just visible here).  It always makes me think of the passage in the Bible where Simeon prophesies over the infant Jesus and warns Mary, his mother, of the heartbreak to come.  Michelangelo believed he was carving to release figures trapped in the stone - and this piece has that kind of sense for me.

(Photo taken with my Panasonic DMC-FZ18)

16 comments:

  1. I saw pieces of art of this artist in Italy. At first sight, I believed they were parts of ancient statues, from rome or from renaissance. Then I discovered that the sculptor was a today's man!I love his work very much, it's very strong, tall and impressive, and yet very beautyful and classical.
    I always liked this idea to "release figures trapped in stones", that sounds so true..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how impressive it is to stand next to. Your photograph is excellent, though, with only the heavens as a backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that one over 'the other side'? I don't think I've ever seen it. I have to admit I've not walked across to the other gallery more than a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome viewpoint! Loved the picture, every bit of it :)

    ___
    call Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you mentioned the face on the shoulder...I think I would have missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't see the face on the shoulder either until I read your post. This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great piece! It looks like it was a beautiful day for a tour of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AJ - this is actually currently at the end of the terrace quite near the main entrance and gallery. Maybe they move them around, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this sculpture. Beautiful sky for a backdrop too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would need to see it. The workmanship seems to be excellent, but I can't yet decide if I like the composition or if it speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful -- and I like your perception of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with your feeling about this piece. Wish I could see it myself. It's wonderful, and captured against the sky makes it centre stage. I recall I've had serendipitous moments with you before. Two things here. I just hung up a face mask of my mother that looks eerily similar to the main face here. And a large marble sculpt I've had for over 15 years cracked in the move (it was not mishandled... just a natural crack that finally gave way.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sculptor sure has talent for touching the soul of the viewer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The story of Simeon is one of my favorites from the Bible...great photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that really is a powerful sculpture. I would not have noticed the face on the shoulder, and glad you included your thoughts on this one too. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete