I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 19 September 2011

Garlic


I've tried for several years running to capture a flavour (ha!) of Saltaire Festival's Continental Market.  It really is something.  Probably 30 or so different stalls, a good half of which sell foods, both cooked ready to consume (paella, tartiflette, churros, noodles, crêpes, hot dogs, hog roast - you name it, it's there) and produce to take away (breads, chutneys, cheeses, sweet pastries, biscuits, olives, salami, nuts, coffee beans in amazing flavours, garlic).  It's always lively and thronged with people and as you walk up between the stalls it smells delicious.  It's all pretty expensive, I think - £1.50 for a fist-sized meringue? - but that doesn't seem to deter people.

Anyway, I always feel there's a photo to be had in the wide-angle view, with Salts Mill in the background.. so I take a few shots and bring them home and upload them.  And there he is, a fat bloke with a beer-belly and a mouth full of burger, taking centre-stage... or there's a scowling mother with a child with a pacifier that isn't pacifying enough, or someone wearing a silly hat walked into the frame. So I haven't managed a 'good' shot in all the years I've tried.  Never mind, there's always the garlic... isn't it pretty?

18 comments:

  1. You know, apparently, there's a place on the IoW that sells all manner of garlic products...including garlic ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humm! it smells good! I can feel it from here! Ü

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful what a tasty shot.Apparently there used to be 400 types of garlic, wish we still had them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got a picture of me! Where is it then ... yes the one where I am taking centre stage with the burger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Photography's like that! always striving for the perfect shot! I think the garlic with the blush of purple is just fine. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well, Jenny, the garlic is certainly beautiful! :-) And I'm so glad you posted this. My garlic needs to be planted in October. Since most of our garden harvest is done in early September, I usually forget all about the garlic. Now maybe I'll remember this year! Somehow it doesn't seem natural to plant things in any month other than May. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so funny. Why is it that the big bellied man always gets into the photo? Unlike my auctions, where I actually intentionally photograph him! lol....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just back from Italy; need a break from garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is wonderful looking garlic Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love garlic, we eat it a lot.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love smoked garlic - but £12 worth?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really? That doesn't happen to me. Every image is perfect. No fat guys eating burgers or mothers with crying babies. (Take LOTS of pictures to increase the odds and crop out the stuff you don't want to show.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's just not that easy to exclude unwanted bits at Fairs: CS3 is even harder to use for that purpose. Maybe you have to hang from the roof?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this picture -- glad big-belly wasn't around!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so wickedly funny, Jenny! That smoked garlic appeals to me. Have you ever tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The garlic is lovely! Very lovely in fact. Your description of your other less pleasant captures do sound fun though! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's very pretty garlic. Now though, my head is full of fat men with mouthfulls of burger.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're too funny... and boy do I relate! Can't ever get too much garlic, although these are pricey!

    ReplyDelete