I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 6 August 2012

Living roof


Harsh full frontal sunlight is not quite the best for this lovely old farm outbuilding, but nevertheless it appealed to me, with its soft colours, textures and geometric shapes.  I was also intrigued to see that the stone slate roof is being colonised by plants. One of my favourite blogs is 'did you bring your camera?'  - wonderful photography (mainly nature and landscapes) by Anita Johnson, who lives in Wisconsin. This reminded me that she and her husband run a business growing vegetative mats for living roofs. If the end result is anything like this old barn, they must look lovely as well as being ecologically sound.

8 comments:

  1. It's not just the roof which is amazing, look at them stones. There is an epic novel in each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alan. The whole house is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This outbuilding is like a once-beautiful face that has grown old. It's now much more interesting. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This building is amazing! So many details to look at. I love the door!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha...now there just needs to be a goat up there having breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am guessing that this living roof stems from neglect, not ecological planning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that is what we grow, but not always on such a beautiful old building like this one! The sedum (plants used) blooms through out the summer. Thank you for the nice compliment about my blog too...so fun to have friends across the pond. Love you Olympic photo.
    PS We have a little visitor this weekend, pictures to follow! (o:

    ReplyDelete