I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 7 October 2012

Le Bid


The whole country went mad when Bradley Wiggins won the Tour de France, swiftly followed by fantastic performances from our cyclists at the Olympics and Paralympics. It's definitely a sport that is having a renaissance in Britain, both at competitive level and amongst the millions of commuters and weekend cyclists. I never had a bike as a kid (deprived, I feel!) so I can't say that cycling is something I'm actually personally fond of, though I wish I was. But it's a great sport to watch.

Cycling in Yorkshire, with its hilly terrain, is a challenge worthy of the world's best cyclists. 'Welcome to Yorkshire', the Yorkshire tourist board, has launched Le Bid, an audacious proposal to host the opening stages - Le Départ - of the Tour de France in Yorkshire in 2016.  Sounds like that would be great fun. I signed the petition!

5 comments:

  1. I like the cycling. Cycling races are exciting. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's wishing Yorkshire good luck with the bid! I used to be a very keen cyclist, but felt that with the traffic getting heavier and faster, I was riding my luck as well as my bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived on my bike as a child, and as a teen until I got a driver's license. Then it was back to recreational riding as a young adult, with the bike carrier on the back of the car for rides in exotic places, child seats on the back of the bikes to make it a family outing, and then bikes for everyone. Now biking has become infrequent again; maybe we need to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was the same here when Cadel Evans won last year Jenny. Such a great way to get from a to b, if only I had a sense of balance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to Yorkshire, jennyfreckles. I have bicycles in Connecticut and Florida, but really don't use the Connecticut bike very often. The traffic is a bit too much here.

    ReplyDelete