I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 28 July 2013

Portrait of a champion


A star turn at the Bingley Show - this year's Grand National winner, Auroras Encore. The horse is trained by Sue Smith (seen here in the saddle), wife of the former show-jumping legend Harvey Smith, at their stables at High Eldwick, on the moors up above Bingley. Aurora's jockey, Ryan Mania, riding in his first Grand National, guided the 66-1 outsider to a shock victory in the famous race at Aintree in April.

I'm not a great fan of horse-racing in general, but I do usually watch the Grand National, which has a kind of iconic status - and for me also heralds the start of Spring! Now having seen Auroras Encore in the flesh, I can only say what a truly beautiful horse he is.

3 comments:

  1. Look at those sleek long legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I always wonder why horses don't break those long, skinny legs more easily. Isn't it amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed your pictures from Bingley -- the handsome bull, the Shire mare, the amazing cocks -- (a naughty word over here -- we say 'rooster' instead.)

    ReplyDelete