I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 26 January 2014

Ever on watch


This lion is 'Vigilance' - one of the four proud beasts, sculpted by Thomas Milnes, that grace the centre of Saltaire. Of the four, this is perhaps the hardest to photograph. For much of the year he is pretty much smothered in tree - as his green coat testifies. I like his look - very snooty, very proud - though I think someone ought to give him a good scrub come the spring. If only he could tell us what he has noticed in his 140 plus years of keeping watch over the village's comings and goings......

8 comments:

  1. I love his crossed paws and relaxed look. He does need a scrub and only if he could talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, he does look like he's relaxed and enjoying his post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took pics of those beasts when I was there! It really is such a special place where you live, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt he's noticed that much if he's had his head stuck in a tree! The sculptor has certainly captured the essence of the beast - snooty and proud, certainly, but also powerful, bored and a little bit idle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like his proud way to hold his head .He surely has many stories to tell..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though he's a sculpture, I still wouldn't want to 'cross' him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He has a commanding look and a commanding position .... I'm sure he is privy to all the happenings in your pretty village but I would feel safe in the fact that he won't be telling anything to anyone.

    ReplyDelete