I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 13 March 2014

Dunham Massey


I visited friends over in Manchester at the weekend and we paid a brief visit to Dunham Massey, a National Trust property in Cheshire. I'd never heard of it before and I would have liked time to explore a bit more. It apparently has lovely gardens around the house itself but we only had time for a short walk in the grounds. It is a deer park, though I didn't see any. They were no doubt scared off by the many visitors who, like us, had been lured out by the promise of a bright spring day and were sadly disappointed by the heavy cloud cover. I did, however, note the very many old trees that had been damaged by the recent bad weather.

The house itself is a Georgian property and, whilst not especially beautiful from the outside, sounds interesting nevertheless. During the First World War it was a military hospital.  2014 is of course the centenary of the start of the War, so parts of the house have been recreated as a hospital to show people what it was like. Judging by the queues it is a very popular attraction, and I think there are many similar re-creations around the country. I must try and visit some during the year. Although we covered topics like the war poets at school, we didn't really get taught a lot about WWI and nothing about WWII. I think when I was a child it was just too much recent history.

2 comments:

  1. It is rather a dreary old place, isn't it? You gave it some kind of effect in the editing, which looks good.

    ReplyDelete