I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 11 February 2015

Leeds Minster


Leeds Parish Church, known since 2012 as Leeds Minster (an honorary title sometimes bestowed by the Church of England on large parish churches that have an important status), towers over some rather derelict buildings near the old docklands area of the city. There has been a church here for hundreds of years. The present structure was built in 1841 to replace a smaller church that was decayed and not fit for purpose. It was intended 'to express the grace and compassion of God at a time when the surrounding area was a huddled mass of squalid housing and money was scarce'. (One wonders if the poverty-stricken townsfolk appreciated this...)

6 comments:

  1. One often wonders about the pomp and extravagance of these buildings amongst the surrounding poverty, however they did at least provide employment for the artisans who built them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very british view! Same situations here, about rich churches among poor people .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in the church a couple of times and found it a friendly amenable place - they have their own café serving good reasonably priced food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo! It looks like it could have been taken many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts exactly when I first saw the (then) new and unfinished Liverpool Cathedral. I understand the intentions and the culture (I'm British, once C of E) but I do wonder what the Lord thinks about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that "minster" was a term used by churches other than York. It is probably elitist of me to say this, but I would like to see those derelict buildings razed so the church can be seen better.

    ReplyDelete