I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 10 May 2015

Big bird


An added attraction to Yeadon Tarn is that it lies just at the edge of the runway for Leeds-Bradford airport. Seeing such big planes taking off and landing still gives me a mild thrill. I vividly recall standing by an airport perimeter fence with my dad when I was little, watching planes, in the days when it seemed unthinkable that we'd ever be able to travel in one. I think Leeds-Bradford airport is probably busier with holiday flights in the mornings and early evenings. There were only two large aircraft landed in the hour or two that I was there, though a few smaller planes were whizzing about too. They don't seem to bother the wildlife.

7 comments:

  1. You might turn in to a plane spotter now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking photos like that could land you in jail in some countries. I remember that there was an observation gallery at Heathrow where you could sit and watch the planes coming in and going out. It was a special treat when I was a little boy. I seem to remember that there was a long time to wait between planes in those days, though I'll admit that my reserves of patience were not that great when I was six!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about our freedom, John. Good to remember that and be thankful, every now and again.

      Delete
  3. It was a real treat to go out to the airport and watch planes coming and going when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised that the park is so close to a significant airport. John is right about getting in trouble with a camera near an airport. I have gone to the Naples municipal airport a few times (it is mainly for corporate aircraft and private planes) and felt that a security guard would appear if I stayed too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to watch the planes at Ohare airport when we lived in Chicago. This picture is really eye catching!

    ReplyDelete