I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 24 November 2016

Harpa, Reykjavik


Iceland holiday - I was surprised by how modern and stylish Iceland is. The geo-thermal energy means buildings are warm and cosy; the rapidly increasing tourism means that much of the visitor accommodation is fairly new and of a high standard. In Reykjavik the new concert hall, Harpa, opened in 2011, seems to be a statement about the forward-thinking mindset of a country with a rich tradition of folklore and creativity.

Harpa was an exciting building to photograph - and a welcome haven from the heavy rain and wind.


Detail of the ceiling

6 comments:

  1. A change from Saltaire. Whatever would Titus have thought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think he'd have been commissioning such buildings. He was pretty innovative in his day.

      Delete
  2. I love the look of that building, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing architecture and captured well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb architecture and superb images. I can't stand so much of modern architecture, but some of it is breathtaking and uplifting. This one is in the latter category, as is the new Museum of African American American History and Culture. I wish I could define which are good and which are bad. It would help me to explain my decisions when I am appointed the czar of which crazy new buildings can be built and which cannot.

    ReplyDelete