I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 4 January 2017

Cyril's spot



This spot, between Saltaire village and the lock at Hirst Wood, is a favourite stretch of the canal for me and features in many of my regular short walks. The canal bank here is often favoured by fishermen. I can only assume that Cyril Senior, immortalised in a small memorial plaque on the canal's edge, was a fisherman who loved to sit here in the quiet and try his luck with a fishing rod. Who can blame him?
Cyril is an uncommon name nowadays but it was my paternal grandfather's name too. I have a bit of a soft heart for Cyril as well as this stretch of canal.

8 comments:

  1. One can almost picture him from just the name and the location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful place and tribute

    My muses is named Cyrl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice place to sit and fish for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the plaque that we place for my Great Granddad. He certainly was a fisherman who tried his luck! Think he needs cleaning up a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the plaque we put down for my Great Grandad, think he needs cleaning up a little though! You're certainly right. He was a fisherman who fished whenever and wherever he could along the canal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see this pop up on my Facebook today, Cyril, my grandad, spent many happy moments fishing at this spot on the canal x RIP Grandad x

    ReplyDelete