I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 8 July 2017

More bus nostalgia


More memories... This type of bus transported me to primary school and back, and to my grandparents' house, before we owned a car. You weren't supposed to ride on the open platform, though people did. It also meant people could hop on and off when the bus was moving! Unthinkable in these days of health and safety and much busier roads.

I can still remember swaying up those stairs as the bus moved off, and trying to see my distorted reflection in the convex mirror (which was there, I think, so the bus conductor could keep an eye on the top deck). My favourite seat, then as now, was always the one upstairs at the front, with a grandstand view of everything.

At the time, I didn't appreciate the craftsmanship in these vehicles... Look at that gorgeous wood-inlayed floor.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! What fun for school kids. I'd like to try it myself, but I think I'd avoid the open platform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks to be in great shape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They don't build them like this anymore! Everything's safety oriented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newer ridden on one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a 'fifties Halifax bus. The livery of the Glasgow Corporation buses was very similar, but the Halifax buses had a cream horizontal band beneath the windows, as you can see. I believe the very handsome single cab body was built by Duple. "Move on down the bus, please! Plenty of space outside!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please permit my correction. This bus chassis came from the Daimler factory. The bodywork was built by Charles Roe at Crossgates, Leeds.

    ReplyDelete